Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Portal*Portal*  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Extremadura 3 week winter session.

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Extremadura 3 week winter session. Empty
PostSubject: Extremadura 3 week winter session.   Extremadura 3 week winter session. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27 2010, 04:42

The Sierra Brava and the massive Orellana system in the Extremadura region of western Spain was where I decided to spend a few weeks last January.
The landscape is breathtaking as you near the area, wildlife is abundant and winding down through lush mountains and crossing bridges spanning huge sheets of water the potential becomes glaringly apperant. With the abundance of food in many of the regions waters notably the Crayfish whose remains litter the shores, these fish have grown big. Even with its rapidly growing reputation very little pressure, angling or otherwise is exerted on the region.
A friend Jack was to join me for a week so we decided to start on the Orellana and if the general concerns that it was a little early in the year (given the conditions) were to prove right, then off to the Brava where reports suggested that the fish were waking up, it would be.
We arrived at an area recomended by the FAT boys and it certainly looked the business, a good wind pushing in, the vast water slightly narrowing to our left and a big back bay to our right. A fish rolled at range as if to welcome us and with that, camp was made. Once in the boat and out at about 400 yards the screen lit up with big fish symbols mid water (I generaly use a sounder for depths and features only, however signs like these given the time of year are hard to ignore – fish can, in certain situations “hang” in the mid to upper layers due to tempreture layering and dissolved oxygen levels and even protectively over a food source). After getting a good idea of what was going on feature and depth wise, it was time to get my markers in position and spread a drum of particle over the area.
Rods were fished at depths ranging from 2m-20m. Features were as numourous as hens teeth, with the exception of a small bar and a little drop-off which were both targeted.

After the promising start things began to decline. Day after day of high winds, rain and without so much as a liner was to prove enough, although the signs were there the fish were yet to switch on. Time and location (as always) was essential and as Jack only had the rest of the week before he had to get back we decided to move up to the Sierra Brava for the remainder of his trip. The Orellana is one of those vast waters that holds so much mystery that further investigation is without doubt on the cards.

The lads picked us up and it was back to the house for showers then onto the local bar where we proceeded to eat and drink our way into the locals hearts.
After a welcome bed for the night it was off to the Sierra Brava. We drove round the lake and opted for the point of an exposed snag infested bay. Again things were looking good. 4 days later, even with a fresh wind and a few fish rolling, all that was to save Jack a blank was a little double figure common.

Back to base once again to wish the baby Giant goodbye with a few shandys and then back to the Brava the folowing morning.
Northern end again but opted for an area about a third of the way inside a bay full of half submerged old olive trees on the end of the prevailing wind. Matt generously suggested I tuck into the new bait delivery and hopefully bank a few for the good people at Dynamite Baits. Boats are outlawed on the Brava and trying to map the area with a marker set up would be insane thanks to the stumps. A search around with a lead revealed enough information. The sunken trees were my main points of interest.
I began by spodding a mixture of 10mm, 16mm, 20mm and 24mm Fresh Fish range in Dynamites Prawn, Oyster and Fish together with hemp, tiger’s, maize, pellet and a good lash of the supplied glugs - just to get the party started. Within a few hours the runs began with some doubles and so the bait kept going in. Then a mid 20 made an appearance and hoping the stamp was on the way up, I reduced the particle and pellet and upped the boillie – in both size and quantity. All 3 rods were fished as tight as possible to dead trees in relatively shallow water 4-12ft.
After a few 20’s things slowed down a little, I kept the bait trickling in and listened during the night. They were still around alright. The following day I decided to try using slightly smaller heavily glugged Source hookbaits that I had brought with me. New rigs were tied with a few adjustments usually reserved for shyer feeding fish and most importantly with bulletproof components. Heavy gauge hooks and links as well as snag leaders (20m) in either Suffix Ballistic or Kryston Quicksilver were essential.
Sitting by the rods in my chest waders I was already reaching for the butt when the first beep sounded, as if in slow motion the indicator smashed into pieces on the blank, the pod buckled and the rod bounced into the air, these fish seem to take baits on the run? It was vital to get out in the water and apply pressure as quickly as possible in order to prevent the fish making any headway into the snags, once out of danger on one side the fight would swing round to the to the other and more invisible obstacles transmitted their presence by way of that delightful grating vibration. This was the first of 5 fish over 30lb and my first look at a Sierra Mirror known locally as “Royals”.
Over the following days 18 fish graced the bank up to 35lb and two were lost to hook pulls, not bad considering the force needed to get these demons under control.

35lb Sierra common

Extremadura 3 week winter session. 35comm10

It had begun to rain hard and the boys were having difficulty dropping down my supplies due to the rivers flooding. At one stage I was cut off for 3 days because of the levels and only through Matt’s persistence and covert operations did dry clothes and food make it across to me.
Weather wise things were looking worse, the lads were concerned with getting me out for my flight at the end of the following week if the levels continued to rise and having had one vehicle drowned in the river it was looking like a move across at the very next oppertunity. A group of Spanish moved in for the weekend on the mouth of the arm cutting me off and slowing things right down, although I was still picking up the odd fish It was time to move, with a sudden drop in the levels I was packed down and across.
I toyed with the idea of repeating the campaign on the next bay along but decided to gamble the remaining time and head for deep water down by the Dam. After a good scout around with Matt I chose an area with a little island and a gradual slope to deep water at about 100 yards.
Soon after setting up I had a little double on the matt. The following day brought another, then just after a visit from the lads the long range rod was off on a long slow take. Bending into the fish I could feel this was better, slow steady lunges, as I waded out with the net I caught a glimpse of the fish as it broke the surface, a mirror and a decent one. Safely in the net I carried her back and peered down, not a monster but beautiful, high 30 maybe 40 – lovely.
Sacked up and after a well needed beer, I spotted a Spanish lad baiting up on the far point who kindly agreed to do the honnours. After safely returning the fish and looking after my new amigo with a some hookbaits and end taclkle I was left to thinking about wrangling another trip out.

If your into your wild fishing, The Extremadura region of Spain is an unexplored tresssure trove. Weather you choose to fish the Sierra Brava with its big plated Mirrors, disappear into uncharted territory on the Orellana hunting down the massive Commons or explore one of the other systems, its an experience I doubt you will forget.

38lb Sierra Royal.

Extremadura 3 week winter session. 38roya10

Cheers. GG.
Back to top Go down
Keitho
Carp Hunter
Keitho

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2007-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Extremadura 3 week winter session.   Extremadura 3 week winter session. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28 2010, 06:44

Stunning fish - that common looks almost ornamental - well done
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extremadura 3 week winter session.   Extremadura 3 week winter session. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29 2010, 04:03

Cheers Keitho. GG.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extremadura 3 week winter session.   Extremadura 3 week winter session. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29 2010, 04:24

Great read GG...some stunning carp...sounded like a great hol happy days..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extremadura 3 week winter session.   Extremadura 3 week winter session. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29 2010, 04:40

Cheers Matt. GG.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extremadura 3 week winter session.   Extremadura 3 week winter session. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Extremadura 3 week winter session.
Page 1 of 1