Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Portal*Portal*  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Driving to France,

Go down 
+6
MIKE B
Dan
Damo
carpingmatt
cod
brendan taaffe
10 posters
AuthorMessage
brendan taaffe
I'm getting into posting

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeThu May 19 2011, 08:02

Hi Guys, a question, considering a trip to france, wondering whether to take the ferry to the uk, drive across uk, ferry from dover OR rosslare to roscoff?

Cheers, Brendan.
Back to top Go down
cod
Carp Hunter
cod

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeThu May 19 2011, 10:43

Celtic link to Cherbourg might be easier on you. Sail from Rosslaire?
Back to top Go down
carpingmatt
Tackle Tart
carpingmatt

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeThu May 19 2011, 12:20

works out cheaper going direct from ireland to france last time i cheked
Back to top Go down
Damo
Top Specimen Hunter
Damo

Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2006-10-04

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeThu May 19 2011, 15:22

If you dont mind the long drive and are fishing in the Champagne region/or East of Paris the UK route is quicker, and more flexable as there is one crossing every hour.
Back to top Go down
brendan taaffe
I'm getting into posting

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeFri May 20 2011, 02:41

The long drive through the uk would probably leave me shattered! Looking at waters in the limogue region. The ferry from rosslare would break up the driving. Thanks for the replies, lads.

Brendan.
Back to top Go down
Dan
Top Specimen Hunter
Dan

Number of posts : 909
Registration date : 2007-06-15

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeFri May 20 2011, 04:18

I've never done land bridge and don't think I ever will either. A night in the bar on the ferry beats the crap out of driving all night through England. A good Kip (providing on one wakes you to talk about what swims are available...damo) then a good breakie and your off. I think with the extra fuel costs these days and two ferries fares I'd say a land bridge is far dearer
Back to top Go down
http://www.carpfishingireland.com/t4439p60-sixtysixwild
brendan taaffe
I'm getting into posting

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeFri May 20 2011, 17:19

Dan, you might be right!

Brendan.
Back to top Go down
MIKE B
Top Specimen Hunter
MIKE B

Number of posts : 1957
Registration date : 2006-12-20

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 11:31

Done Dublin to liverpool=Liverpool to Dover=Dover to Calais=Calais to Grosley north france.Normandy? i think.Then back.Kruger will fill you in on the details if your anyway in dought.ITS A FUNKIN NIGHTMARE.(nuff said)
Back to top Go down
al
Carp Angler
al

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2007-04-16

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 13:26

Went to La Moselle via Landbridge last September, brutal drive although saves the nightmare ring road around Paris. Just back from the La Brenne region went via Rosslare Cherebourg, ferry loses you days on the bank. I suppose both routes have their pit falls, if I had to pick one it would be the Cherbourg route.

Lets face it rivers like this [img]Driving to France, DSC00518[/img]

For 20kg + Mirrors Like this, Fcuk it I would walk on hot coals cheers

[img]Driving to France, 44lbEasternFrancePublicLake[/img]
Back to top Go down
Damo
Top Specimen Hunter
Damo

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 13:35

Lucky b*stard! that ones been on my list for far too long.
Some very big fish in there.....

Good dangling, and agree worth a few laps of le peripherique!

Back to top Go down
al
Carp Angler
al

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 13:51

Yeah mate they grow biiiiiiiiig in the river alright, if you can hack the barges and mozzies the drive is a doddle. I am doing alot in France now, its really bloody adictive, listening to the cows jumping at night is music to any carpers ears. Have to say though the stock pond type fisheries are not my thing, perhaps more fellas should give the rivers or department waters ago, not easy but well worth it. On my last trip to Brenne I fished a 150 hectare lake, had over a 500kg of carp in 10 days between two of us to 21kg. I must say though take lots of bait, we used 150kg of boille, 250kg of particle and six pints of blood for the mozzies. Back again in September then of to the KK Canal in November for a bit of craic, will keep yous posted.
Back to top Go down
Damo
Top Specimen Hunter
Damo

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 14:55

Lucky to get into the big ones on the rivers, but the experiance is awsome, and rewards can be massive. The Mosselle holds some stunning fish.
40KG of bait a day is impressive, never tried that much on a private, Public or River....I'll start saving!
Back to top Go down
al
Carp Angler
al

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeThu May 26 2011, 15:29

A carte de la peche is about 32 yo yos for a 14 day pemit, boillie say £300 and particle £100. Now to fish a stocked water of decent quality (if there is such a thing) can cost easy £300+, plus bait etc. I do my trips for two weeks for less than £800 all in, much cheaper then a two week break on a goldfish bowl.
Most of the bait gets ate by the bream, poisson and roach, when the shoals of carp do come in you need a big bed of bait to hold them, thats the key to the bigguns imo. As you said the experience is worth the cost and if youre lucky a biggy will grace the net.
Back to top Go down
brendan taaffe
I'm getting into posting

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeSat May 28 2011, 06:35

Super fishing al, the rosslare crossing is 3 times a week, the dover ferry offers far greater flexibility, going every hour.
Back to top Go down
philiphito
Carp Hunter
philiphito

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 06:28

BIG RIVER CARP FISHING--IT'S ALL ABOUTH!!
I cheers
Back to top Go down
Dan
Top Specimen Hunter
Dan

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 09:20

Smashing fish AL. There's something special about pulling carp out of a river. Never fished the Moselle but will get around to doing it someday. Just for general info the carte vacances only covers you for a week now. They changed it this year. Still not a bad price for a weeks fishing but a bit shitty as it's directed straight at carp anglers and if you talk to any of the French anglers they will tell you that their not happy about paying the yearly fee as all the money goes back into restocking pike and Zander which ultimately end up on a plate (sound familiar) and little or no money goes back into carp fishing and there are very few night zones.
Back to top Go down
Dan
Top Specimen Hunter
Dan

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 09:31

Ps it might be cheaper to buy the yearly permit for the dept/county your going to fish. Depending on what county your going to fish it can be from 50 to 60 odd. If you then want to fish another dept in the same session or later that year you just have to get another stamp (around 20notes) for the taxe complete and then you can fish most of the country. The north east of the country (around 20 depts)I'm not sure about as they have some different rules. But the carte vacances covers you country wide
Back to top Go down
al
Carp Angler
al

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 13:10

It must depend on the region you are fishing Dan as the permits for 2011 for area 19 Correze.

http://www.peche-correze.com/ the link..

Fishing permits 2011
• Carte découverte femme : 30 € • Map woman discovered: 30 €
• Carte personne majeure : 66 € • Map adult: 66 €
• Carte annuelle interdépartementale : 85 € • Annual pass interdepartmental: 85 €
• Carte personne mineure (12-18 ans) : 15 € • card minor (12-18 years): 15 €
• Carte découverte (jeune - 12 ans) : 3 € • Discovery Map (young - 12 years): 3 €
• Cartes vacances à la quinzaine 30 € (à partir de juin) • Holiday Cards fortnight € 30 (from June)
• Cartes à la journée 10 € en 1ère et 2ème catégorie • Maps to the day 10 € in 1st and 2nd grade
Ces cartes vous donnent accès à la totalité des parcours

: These cards give you access to all courses:

• 5 000 km de cours d'eau de 1ère catégorie • 5000 km of waterways 1st class
• 200 km de cours d'eau de 2ème catégorie • 200 km of watercourses in the second category
• 18 grands barrages soit 4 000 ha • 18 large dams is 4000 ha
• 9 plans d'eau fédéraux • 9 federal waters
• 9 plans d'eau réciprocitaires AAPPMA • 9 waterbodies réciprocitaires AAPPMA
• 13 parcours de grâciation (no-kill) • 13 courses catch and release (no-kill)
• 9 parcours loisirs surdensitaires • 9 courses leisure surdensitaires
• 11 parcours carpes de nuit. • 11 courses carp night

I believe that La Moselle is now 7 days, as usual in France they make the rules up as they go. I got caught out last year buying a holiday permit then having to buy additional stamps when moving between areas of the river. This year I bought the annual pass, I believe it allows me to fish all areas within that department. As I have this permit can I pay the 20 euro and fish another department or will I have to buy another annual permit for that region.

I normally head for a Pacific Peche or Mondial Peche to get advise and buy the permit, I did fish a water this year that is on the carte de la peche and allows night fishing, it was a real find and one i will for sure be returning to.

Driving to France, Biggun
Back to top Go down
Dub
Top Specimen Hunter
Dub

Number of posts : 2587
Registration date : 2008-04-05

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 13:12

Stunning creature Al.......... Smile
Back to top Go down
Dan
Top Specimen Hunter
Dan

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeMon May 30 2011, 01:41

yes each dept can have little difference`s and sometimes each lake can have different rules. in the creuse dept you most now ring them up and tell them where you are going to be and for how long, other depts you can only use 3 rods others you most hang a light in your swim every night. the best rule of thumb is to check out the water you intend to fish.
Al are you heading to the correze this year ?
ps.nice fish what weight was it.
Back to top Go down
al
Carp Angler
al

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeMon May 30 2011, 02:57

21kg mate or 46lb whatever way you look at it Very Happy Bloody thing was spawned out, might of gone 50 otherwise Sad
I am heading to a lake in the Lorraine region, I checked it out last year, bloody massive but the carp were easy found in the bays and island areas, night fishing is restricted to a few shite areas, just blag it and hope for the best... Days in the bays and nights in the zones if need be.
I hope to go to the KK canal in Belguim during the winter, last year I had to cancel due to the harsh weather, fingers crossed this year, lock 13 and 14 did a few 60s last year.
Dan do you know if my permit will cover me provided I buy an additional stamp for Murthe de Moselle?
Back to top Go down
Dan
Top Specimen Hunter
Dan

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02 2011, 05:05

i`m not really sure if it does. i think it does but as i mentioned earlier the north east of france has some different rules. i get a lot of Belgians here and they do be talking about the KK. it sounds good and i would like to give it a go. i`ve be told that they bait very heavy and hand swim over to their mates a lot. there was two young guys here last year and they fish it a lot and only two weeks before they came here they had had all their gear stolen. they where gassed in their bivvys and woke up on the ground with massive headaches and everything was gone. this has happen a few times from what i`m told. i we also get a German here that fish`s the Albert canal , he told me that the first time he fished it he had a 30kg mirror within an hour. he done 40 nights after that and did not have a sniff.
Back to top Go down
al
Carp Angler
al

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04 2011, 08:25

Thats not good, i have a few mates that go twice a year, they have said it can be abit dodgy.
It is rock hard, however it is supposed to fish better in the winter months on certain locks, fusck it Dan, it is an adventure I would relish, I will likely blank but sure Fcuk we all do that Laughing
I will stay in touch and if I am heading anywhere towards the West/ South West I will give you a shout..
Back to top Go down
SIXTYSIXWILD
I post a bit
SIXTYSIXWILD

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2011-03-14

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07 2011, 09:23

Well earned Al, beautiful fish. talk to ya soon. GG.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Driving to France, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving to France,   Driving to France, Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driving to France,
Page 1 of 1