Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Portal*Portal*  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Travelling to France by ferry - advice

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JohannFenske
I don't post much
JohannFenske

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-10-04

Travelling to France by ferry - advice Empty
PostSubject: Travelling to France by ferry - advice   Travelling to France by ferry - advice Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21 2013, 10:39

Hi lads

I want to plan a trip to france during the summer, doing self-drive for at least 7 days. But I have never travelled by ferry so am not sure what ferry to take, and what would work out cheapest/most affordable? So far I've only seen return fares on Irish Ferries.com at about 298 Euro. Is that a good price, or can someone help me with getting a better price/fare?

Any help would really be great. Tx Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul C.
Top Specimen Hunter
Paul C.

Number of posts : 1254
Registration date : 2006-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Travelling to France by ferry - advice   Travelling to France by ferry - advice Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21 2013, 11:26

Hi Johann,

It depends on what ports you want to use, whether you want to go Rosslare to Cherbourg/Rosscoff or if you'd prefer to Landbridge over to Wales and drive across England to Dover and take the 90 minute ferry into Calais. Our choice of ferry usually depends on when we have the lake booked for. If it's a 7 day trip starting at Saturday 12 midday then travelling over night Friday night is going to cause you to miss out on most of Saturday.

We're fishing south-east of Paris this year so we're travelling on the Thursday night with Celtic Ferries, arrive into Cherbourg at 17:00 hrs on Friday evening and we can then take it easy getting to the lake instead of booking a later ferry and racing down. It's never worth the rush. We leave the Saturday morning at 11 and our Ferry is 21:00 hours going home again so we can take our time that day also. It's a holiday after all so enjoy the trip and the surroundings instead of racing to and from the place.
Back to top Go down
MIKE B
Top Specimen Hunter
MIKE B

Number of posts : 1957
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Travelling to France by ferry - advice   Travelling to France by ferry - advice Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21 2013, 11:44

Celtic link ferries are always well worth a look. You can go celtic and return by the oscar wilde Irish ferries for a bit of comfort.
Back to top Go down
Paul C.
Top Specimen Hunter
Paul C.

Number of posts : 1254
Registration date : 2006-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Travelling to France by ferry - advice   Travelling to France by ferry - advice Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21 2013, 11:59

Just think "Ryanair of the Seas" and you won't be disappointed. The guy in the hi-viz jacket directing you where to park on the cardeck is serving you drinks 15 minutes later in the bar.
Back to top Go down
JohannFenske
I don't post much
JohannFenske

PostSubject: Re: Travelling to France by ferry - advice   Travelling to France by ferry - advice Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21 2013, 13:40

Thanks lads! I really appreciate the advice. This long travel via ferry is new to me so I need all the tips I can get, lol! Im not too bothered about luxury on the ferry, as long as it gets me to my destination and is affordable. Very Happy

I will have to look at the options you mentioned Paul, as I havent decided on a venue yet but I wouldnt want to be driving more than max 3hrs from the port. Im in 2 minds about whether or not I should go to a carp fishery, or to fish a public lake. From what I hear fishing public lakes in France can be pretty tricky, and quite a hit-and-miss in terms of choosing the right venue. But that sort of fishing is what I am used to from back in South Africa. Over there its drive and survive all the way, fishing large public reservoirs... no well-managed fisheries...

Let me go have a look at Celtic Link... Wink
Back to top Go down
david dolan
Carp Angler
david dolan

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Travelling to France by ferry - advice   Travelling to France by ferry - advice Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21 2013, 14:15

All I can say is Im never going on Celtic Ferries again !!!
Back to top Go down
JohannFenske
I don't post much
JohannFenske

PostSubject: Re: Travelling to France by ferry - advice   Travelling to France by ferry - advice Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21 2013, 14:17

What happened David? lol

They are about 50 euro's cheaper than Irish ferries...
Back to top Go down
andy d
Carp Angler
andy d

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2009-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Travelling to France by ferry - advice   Travelling to France by ferry - advice Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21 2013, 14:43

Celtic link all the way head out on a Thursday night and be sitting at lake early Saturday morning fresh and jump on Saturday evening sailing with Irish ferries home here Sunday evening point in the hand before the Sunday game. Don't mind the smell of the cow crap on celtics link it's grand
Back to top Go down
JohannFenske
I don't post much
JohannFenske

PostSubject: Re: Travelling to France by ferry - advice   Travelling to France by ferry - advice Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21 2013, 15:07

cheers andy, sounds like a plan! Now to find a good venue to fish in the north of france... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
andy d
Carp Angler
andy d

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2009-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Travelling to France by ferry - advice   Travelling to France by ferry - advice Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21 2013, 15:12

That's the hardest part all right. All depends what's your after a ball of runs or a few lumps.
Back to top Go down
JohannFenske
I don't post much
JohannFenske

PostSubject: Re: Travelling to France by ferry - advice   Travelling to France by ferry - advice Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21 2013, 15:18

It would have to be a place where I have a fair chance at some 20-40lb+ fish for sure...I dont mind working for them. But its a huge trip for me as I am travelling all the way from Belfast, so I'd have to go for a well stocked venue at least... I'd crack up if I had to go through it all just to blank, lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Travelling to France by ferry - advice   Travelling to France by ferry - advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Travelling to France by ferry - advice
Page 1 of 1